Few would have expected that the gladiator known only as Lo'Gosh was in truth the missing ruler of Stormwind, Varian Wrynn. Now the High King of the Alliance, his every action shapes the destiny of Azeroth itself.
Varian extremely versatile Multi-class Hero that can function as a melee Warrior or Assassin, adapting himself to the needs of his team.
Never one to back down from a difficult task or shy away from the front lines, King Varian Wrynn has always sought to do what he believes is best for his people. Without question, he is eager pick up a sword and shield in defense of the Alliance, Azeroth, and now... The Nexus. There is no opponent too great nor battlefield too harsh to stop Varian from leading those around him toward victory.
Great leaders know that a successful conquest requires the flexibility to adapt to any new challenges that may arise on the field of battle. Through talents, Varian can be built to fit several different disciplines and is the first multi-class hero to enter the Nexus. Be the shield your team needs by taunting enemies and soaking tons of damage, or split Shalamayne into its component swords and lead with your blades to cut down any who stand in your way.
Varian is a multi-class Hero who can be played as either a Warrior or an Assassin. He excels at going personal, pressuring his opponents with multiple slow effects, as well being able to parry Basic Attacks.
Ultimately, Varian's flexible playstyle allows him to fit into most team compositions, filling the need of a Tank or DPS depending on the situation.
- Very flexible playstyle.
- Has access to his Heroic abilities at level 4.
- So far, the only Hero in the Nexus that can play as either a Warrior or as an Assassin.
- Good Basic Attack damage regardless of the Heroic ability picked.
- provides fantastic peeling, and also heals Varian per enemy hit.
- is a fantastic engaging tool, being his main form of mobility for pressuring opponents.
- is a great tool against Heroes that rely on Basic Attacks to deal damage, such as The Butcher.
- Excels at soloing Mercenary and Boss Camps when combining and .
- will completely shutdown Shield reliant Heroes, such as Johanna, Zarya and Fenix.
- His Heroic Abilties have a low overall cooldown.
- is fantastic for taking down specific, high-priority targets.
- provides high burst that can melt frail Heroes, such as most Supports.
- drastically increases Varian attack speed, which allow him to trade against most Heroes in the game.
- Great utility thanks to the Banners talents given at level 16.
- No hard crowd control when playing as an Assassin.
- Misuse of can be extremely punishing if facing opponents with high Basic Attack damage, if is on cooldown.
- Poor waveclear.
- Has difficulities with escaping or chasing unless is picked.
- has very limited use unless the rest of the team can provide enough crowd control for Varian to unleash his attacks.
Tier 1, Hero Level 1
Tier 2, Hero Level 4
Tier 3, Hero Level 7
Tier 4, Hero Level 10
Tier 5, Hero Level 13
Tier 6, Hero Level 16
Tier 7, Hero Level 20
- Protection Build: focused on turning Varian into a reliable tank through , which increases Varian's health and provides him with one of the strongest crowd controls in the game.
- Arms Build: focused on turning Varian into an explosive Assassin through , which increases Varian's Basic Attack damage and allows him to burst down his opponents at ease, at the expense of reducing his health.
- This build is mostly recommended when the team already features a dedicated tank but lacks damage.
- Fury Build: focused on turning Varian into an Assassin with very high sustained damage through , which drastically increases Varian's Attack Speed at the expense of reducing his Basic Attack Damage. A key talent is , which grants him a self-sustain that rivals Illidan's, and allows him to solo Boss Camps.
- Pick for maps that focus heavily on waveclear, such as Tomb of the Spider Queen.
- Pick when the team features one or more Heroes that rely on shields, such as Tassadar and Fenix. It works specially well if Varian is talented for Arms ().
- High King of the Alliance (base)
|High King of the Alliance||Alabaster||Iron|
- Lionheart 100
- The Lion has long been associated with the nation of Stormwind and the House of Wrynn. It is a symbol of courage, dignity and ferocity; truly befitting for the High King.
- Lo'Gosh 400
- After awakening on the shores of Durotar, the gladiator known as Lo'Gosh became a star of the Crimson Ring Arena. Rumor has it that he fights with the fury of the Ghost Wolf himself.
- Features themed abilities.
- Commandant 600 NYR
- As chief security officer for Volskaya's Nexus operations, Varian Volkov is no stranger to harsh winters and cold steel. Rather than pilot a Svyatogor mech, he prefers to meet his foes face-to-face.
- This skin is related to the Overwatch themed-skins. Features themed abilities.
Varian was conceived within the first two years of the game's development. He was listed as a possible hero for Heroes of the Storm as early as 2011. As of BlizzCon 2015, he remained under consideration for inclusion. He was revealed at BlizzCon 2016.
- Varian's helmet in the "Lionheart" skin is intended to emulate that of Llane Wrynn, as depicted in the Warcraft movie.
- Varian is currently the only Multi-Class Hero in the game, as well the only one that can choose Heroic Abilities before Level 10.
- Varian's Heroic Abilities represent each one of the specializations of the Warrior Class in World of Warcraft: Protection (), Arms () and Fury ().
- (Patch March 27, 2018) Note: Health reduced from 2322 to 1850.; Health Regeneration reduced from 4.8375 to 3.8542.; Health scaling increased from 3% to 4% per level.; Basic Attack damage reduced from 91 to 74.; Basic Attack damage scaling increased from 3.5% to 4%.
- (Patch September 26, 2017) Note: Commandant Varian, Grand Commandant Varian, Recon Commandant Varian, Stealth Commandant Varian, Tundra Commandant Varian skins added.
- (Patch August 8, 2017) Note: Deadly Lo'Gosh Varian skin added.
- (Patch May 10, 2017) Note: Basic Attack damage increased from 87 to 91.
- (Patch April 4, 2017) Note: Radius adjusted to better match actual model size.; Varian will now display Damage Taken stats in the Score and Stats screens.
- (Patch March 28, 2017) Note: Base Health increased from 2150 to 2322; Base Health Regeneration increased from 4.48 to 4.84.
- (Patch January 24, 2017) Note: Can no longer be selected through Autoselect – Support.
- (Patch November 15, 2016) Note: Added.
- 2016-11-21, BlizzCon 2016 Heroes of the Storm Deep Dive Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2016-11-21
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
- 2015-12-28, BlizzCon 2015 Heroes of the Storm Deep Dive Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2016-01-01