The Nexus is the setting of Heroes of the Storm.
The Nexus is a powerful trans-dimensional storm, a strange limbo of clashing universes. Worlds collide from across space, time, and even dimensions. The storm of the Nexus can rip worlds, and even universes in and out of existence, but can also pull worlds into stability. Some of the Nexus's central realms are these "points of stability" within the storm. Each of the central realms is ruled by a realm lord. Every realm contains power in of itself, and every realm lord has taken the power of their realm through right of conquest. The Nexus has existed for thousands of years, if not longer, and battles have been waged within it for that period.
The Nexus operates by its own logic and set of rules; for instance, at least for heroes, death is a but a "temporary setback." Combatants from Azeroth, Sanctuary, and the Koprulu sector have been sucked into it, fated to do battle. New heroes are constantly arriving.
The Lunar Festival is celebrated by the denizens of the Nexus, introduced by those sucked in from Azeroth.
Within the Nexus is an elite group of law officers, part of the STORM unit. It's unclear whether they are confined to a single world or if their jurisdiction extends to all worlds.
Currently, the Nexus is under threat of invasion from an external force. It is consuming the outer reaches of the Nexus, while in the inner realms, the realm lords continue to bicker, with the exception of the Raven Lord.
Numerous worlds exist within the multiverse of the Nexus, which are referred to as "realms." They manifest as a part of the same "planet" as the Nexus, and are accessible through foot and other methods of conventional transport. While many of these worlds are unique, some are mirrored versions of those found within Blizzard's franchises and contain alternate universe versions of various heroes.
- *Contains alternate-universe heroes.
- Azeroth (World of Warcraft mirror world)*
- Battlefield of Eternity (located in the heart of the Nexus)
- Burning Court*
- Dark Nexus
- Kings Crest
- Koprulu sector (StarCraft mirror universe)*
- Mystic Kingdoms*
- Raven Court*
- Sanctuary (Diablo mirror world)*
- Splendiferous Extravaganza*
Quotes and Facts
- A nexus is literally defined as "a central/focal point," or "a connected group/series." This hearkens to the trans-dimensional properties of the world.
- The in-universe Book of Cain from the Diablo series describes the realm of Pandemonium as a nexus of realities.
- Kaeo Milker believes that Team 1 will add heroes to Heroes of the Storm that are taken from the Nexus itself.
The Nexus is the setting of Heroes of the Storm. The original setting of the game was a cyber world where heroes were to provide entertainment for "dark and terrible gods." Elements of this remain in the game's tutorial (the starmap). The idea for the Nexus was to create a world that would allow integration of Blizzard's franchises. The idea of a distinct world stems back to the game's mod origins.
- 2013-11-09, BlizzCon 2013 – Heroes of the Storm – FAQ. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2013-11-11
- 2013-11-08, BlizzCon 2013 – Heroes of the Storm – Fact Sheet. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2013-11-10
- Heroes of the Storm, Tutorial
- 2018-04-05, Heroes of the Storm tackles narrative story starting with Rise of the Raven Lord. Blizzard Watch, accessed on 2018-04-06
- Rise of the Raven Lord
- 2013-12-08, BlizzCon 2013 – Diablo III Lore and Story Q&A Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2014-04-21
- 2016-02-02, Heroes of the Storm - Lunar Festival. YouTube, accessed on 2016-02-17
- 22-12-2016, HEROES BRAWL OF THE WEEK, DECEMBER 23, 2016: SNOW BRAWL. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2016-12-26
- Ruinwalker Fenix, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2018-03-18
- 2014-04-30, Li Li Trailer. YouTube, accessed on 2014-05-16
- 2014-08-20, Heroes of the Storm Interview with Kaeo Milker. Icy Veins, accessed on 2014-08-23
- 2015-06-16, The Eternal Conflict - Heroes of the Storm. YouTube, accessed on 2015-06-24
- 2014-02-07, Heroes of the Storm Developer Q&A Part 2 (Jan 22, 2014) – Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2014-06-11
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
- 2011-10-20, Blizzard DOTA Trailer. YouTube, accessed on 2013-11-10
- 2014-02-20, Heroes of the Storm Developer Q&A Part 3 (Feb 20, 2014) – Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2014-06-15
- 2015-06-07, Press Event Q&A Recap, Eternal Conflicts Concept Art. Heroes Nexus, accessed on 2015-06-22