Once the carefree youngest scion of the Shimada clan, Genji was cut down by his own brother for refusing to take part in their illegal ventures. Grafted into a cyborg body by Overwatch, Genji walks his own path as one who fights for what's right.
As the youngest son of the master of the Shimada ninja clan, Genji lived a life of luxury and privilege. He had little interest in the family's illegal businesses, and although he excelled at and enjoyed his ninja training, he spent most of his time pursuing a playboy lifestyle. Many within the clan considered the carefree Genji to be a dangerous liability, and they resented his father for coddling and protecting him. Following the clan leader's untimely death, Genji's older brother, Hanzo, demanded that Genji take a more active role in their late father's empire. Genji refused, enraging Hanzo. The tension between the brothers built to a violent confrontation that left Genji on the verge of dying.
- Strong poke due to low cooldown and mana cost of
- Capable to penetrate defense and area denial at ease
- Decent escape and chase with and
- Strong kiting
- Capable to threaten and confuse enemy with and
- can potentially deal extreme damage
- High learning curve
- Dragonblade and Swift Strike are risky
- Without access to heroic ability, Genji struggles to sacrifice safety to push lane
- Relies on diving or heroic ability to deal high burst damage
- Deals unreliable damage to multiple heroes when heroic ability is in cooldown
Tier 1, Hero Level 1
Tier 2, Hero Level 4
Tier 3, Hero Level 7
Tier 4, Hero Level 10
Tier 5, Hero Level 13
Tier 6, Hero Level 16
Tier 7, Hero Level 20
- Cybernetic Ninja (base)
|Cybernetic Ninja||Carbon Fiber||Fire||Golden 150||Nihon 150|
- Steel Dragon 100
- Though he used to struggle with being part man and part machine, Genji has since come to terms with his dual nature. Improving his body along with his spirit was the obvious next step.
|Steel Dragon||Master Dragon||Neon Dragon||First Dragon 150|
|Iron Dragon 150|
- Oni 400
- It is said that an oni with an iron club is invincible. But that's nothing compared to an oni with a katana.
|Oni||Vengeful Oni||Moss Oni||Snow 600|
- Lunar 150
- Once the carefree youngest scion of the Shimada clan, Genji was cut down by his own brother for refusing to take part in their illegal ventures. Grafted into a cyborg body by Overwatch, Genji walks his own path as one who fights for what's right.
Work on Genji began in mid-August, 2016. At the start, the developers initially approached the idea of allowing deflect to function as it did in Overwatch, where it reflects most abilities/projectiles. However, this ran into the issue of how some abilities (e.g. flamestrike would be reflected). Genji could initially aim the deflection, but this didn't work well, due to the short duration, and that the player would constantly have to press "W." They thus altered the ability to its current state.
The lack of tools like crowd control, healing, and scouting for Genji is intentional and it is in keeping with the idea of him being a high mobility, high damage assassin. The developers didn't want talents that ventured outside that defined role.
Swift Strike is the longest movement ability in the game. From the outset, they knew that they wanted Swift Strike to cross any terrain/collision in the game in order to push Genji’s role as a high mobility hero. They initially tested it internally with an even longer distance (about 25% longer) but players were constantly going too far and ending up in a bad situation and dying. The range was reduced until it felt right.
Genji's animations were done from scratch, but the original animations from Overwatch were referenced. The developers worked with the Overwatch team to translate the visuals as well as possible.
Genji originally had a more Melee-centric Q for Genji that involved him pulling out his dragonblade. However, when reviewing his kit with the Overwatch team, they learned that pulling out the sword is used more deliberately in the game. Thus, it was made an ultimate ability.
- The "Master Dragon" variation of his Steel Dragon skin is a reference to Master Chief from the Halo franchise.
- The "First Dragon" and "Neon Dragon" variations of his Steel Dragon skin are a reference to Evangelion Units 00 and 01 from Neon Genesis Evangelion, respectively.
- (Patch April 24, 2018) Note: Health increased from 1550 to 1620.; Health Regen increased from 3.2304 to 3.3750.; Basic Attack damage increased from 42 to 44.
- (Patch February 6, 2018) Note: Lunar skin added.
- (Patch December 12, 2017) Note: Storm Oni Genji, Golden Genji, and Nihon Genji added.
- (Patch October 17, 2017) Note: Iron Dragon and First Dragon added.
- (Patch July 26, 2017) Note: Health reduced from 1600 to 1550; Health Regen reduced from 3.3 to 3.2.
- (Patch April 25, 2017) Note: Added.
- 2017-04-26, HANAMURA REDDIT Q&A. Blizzpro, accessed on 2017-04-26