Boosts (formerly called stimpacks) are a timed buff that net a player an additional 100% experience and 150% gold for each match they begin while a boost is active on their account. They can be purchased from the in-game shop. Until January 4, 2017, a 30 day stimpack could be obtained for free via the Nexus Challenge.
A boost’s bonuses applied on end-of-game score screens for each match the user completes while the boost is active. The amount of time remaining before the boost expires is displayed over a player's selected hero in the party panel. A player will also be notified of their active boost’s remaining duration in the chat box upon logging into the game. The timer begins from the moment a boost is purchased and continues in real time (not game time).
Players should keep in mind the following:
- A boost’s XP bonus will only affect a player's out-of-game hero and player level progression, and has no effect on actual gameplay during a match.
- Boost benefits are additive. This means the bonuses they provide are added to the base amount of XP or gold a player receives by playing a game.
- A free 7 day boost is granted at player level 10.
- A 7 day boost is included in the "Starter Bundle".
- 2014-12-02, COMING SOON TO THE HEROES SHOP: STIMPACKS. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2014-12-03