Blackheart's Bay (formerly Mistharbour) is a very large battleground with a dock's theme. Its unique objective is Blackheart's ghost ship that will bombard enemy buildings if a team can gain the ghostly pirate's favor.
In this map, there are three lanes. Most of the objectives that have to do with Blackheart are located on the lower half of the map but players should not overlook the top half of the map as there is a grave golem and a few mercenary camps there as well.
Revolving around an extra resource of doubloons - the map requires players to work together to collect doubloons from a variety of different sources and bring it to Blackheart in order to gain his favor. Players can expect consistent clashes between the two teams because of the coordinated effort to manage doubloons alongside the normal map elements such as mercenary camps.
Blackheart's Bay is located in the realm formely known as Mistharbor, that was ruled by the Council of Three Anchors, which set the pirate's code. The realm was seized by Blackheart and his undead pirate crew, when they poured onto the streets. They claimed this once thriving market place as their new den of villainy.
The secondary objective revolves around gaining the favor of Blackheart to bombard the enemy base.
Blackheart, an evil pirate lord, is the ghost pirate located in the middle of the map. He is the person you will want to see when turning in your doubloons, however giving him the doubloons take a 6 second channel, giving the opposing team a lot of opportunities to interrupt - any damage taken will immediately interrupt the channel.
Once a team turns in 10 doubloons, Blackheart stops accepting doubloons from both teams and will order his ship to fire a cannon volley on the opposing team's structures. After 12 shots, 3 per building if there are enough structures remaining, Blackheart becomes neutral again and will once again accept doubloons from both teams. Each successive cannon volley for each team costs 2 doubloons more than the one before it.
Doubloons are the golden coins (literally) that are bargained for Blackheart's favor. There are 4 ways to acquire them:
- Treasure chests: Two chests each filled with 5 doubloons will periodically spawn in the middle of the map--one between Blackheart and the middle lane, one between Blackheart and the bottom lane. Basic attacks will cause doubloons to be released, the first 2 one-at-a-time and then the last 3 all at once.
- Doubloon Chests will spawn 3 minutes after the final Chest of the previous event has been captured.
- Doubloon camps: There are two camps that are easily captured--one on each side of the map--between the middle and bottom lanes. These camps are very easily captured and do not grant mercenaries when defeated but do grant 2 doubloons.
- Mercenary camps: Whenever one of the mercenary camps is captured, two doubloons will spawn on the location of the camp.
- Heroes: If any hero dies while carrying doubloons, the doubloons he or she is carrying will be scattered on the ground near where they died and may be picked up by opposing players.
The idea for the map came from nautical ideas from Blizzard Entertainment's artists. They had worked on pirate and nautical-themed artwork, which prompted the game developers to create a map around these ideas. The idea was pitched to the rest of Team 1 by Meng Song. The map was in a playable state three days after development began on it.
A number of multiverse versions of Heroes are from here.
- From their secret hideout in Kraken's Cove, Cassia’s fleet of ships unfurl their black sails on a mission to loot and plunder. Mistharbour will soon bow to a new pirate queen.
- To this day, Captain Falstad and the crew of the Wildhammer honor the pirate’s code set by Mistharbour's Council of Three Anchors. Of course, some say those rules are merely guidelines...
- Decades ago, a mutiny forced the Admiral of the Three Anchors to walk the plank. On moonless nights, his form haunts Blackheart's Bay, calling itself "Krakenov" and demanding a lot of fish.
- Two sharks are located on each vertical side of the map and if either is hit with a skillshot they'll drop down into the water. If the player manually left click on them repeatedly, they will also fall.
- (Patch December 12, 2017) Note: Doubloon Chests will now consistently spawn 3 minutes after the final Chest of the previous event has been captured.
- (Patch October 25, 2017) Note: Fixed an issue that could cause Minions and Summons to become stuck when attempting to attack the Keep and standalone Tower in the Middle Lane.
- (Patch September 26, 2017) Note: Fixed an issue that could allow Medivh and Falstad to enter and stand in certain areas inside the enemy Hall of Storms.
- (Patch April 4, 2017) Note: Fixed an issue that could cause cannonballs to fail to deal damage if the primary target of the volley was destroyed just as the shots were fired.
- (Patch November 15, 2016) Note: Area of effect indicators and Hero rings will now display properly on bridges.
- (Patch October 18, 2016) Note: Cannonballs that fire on the minimap for Blackheart's Bay have received visual effects polish.
- (Patch February 2, 2016) Note: Battleground objective UI for Blackheart's Bay and Tomb of the Spider Queen will now indicate the total number of Doubloons and Gems each team currently has in its possession.
- (Patch August 18, 2015) Note: Fixed an issue in which certain movement-based Abilities, such as Kerrigan’s Ravage or Chen’s Flying Kick, could not target the Doubloon Chests on Blackheart’s Bay, or Plant Terror Overgrowths on Garden of Terror.
- Heroes of the Storm, Falstad Skins
- Battlegrounds: Blackheart's Bay'. Blizzard Entertainment, accessed on 2014-10-03
- 2013-11-08, BlizzCon 2013 - Heroes of the Storm - Building the Nexus. YouTube, accessed on 2013-12-17
- 2013-12-11, BlizzCon 2013 – Heroes of the Storm Overview Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2014-04-30
- 2015-01-30, Blizzard on Heroes of the Storm: "You haven't seen anything yet". PC Gamer, accessed on 2015-02-01